Monday, July 9, 2012

Rhubarb vol. 2


It has been quite warm the past few days here in Finland. Sunshine, rain, thunder..quite like living in a green house – hot and humid. Now what would be a better way to cool yourself than with a icy rhubarb soda. Well there’re lots of rhubarb growing outside in our garden and the freezer is full of ice! Only thing I needed was a recipe since I had only made juice of red and blackcurrant and I guess it works a bit differently with rhubarb. This is what I found from Culinate.



Rhubarb Soda

1½ cups rhubarb, roughly chopped
1 cup sugar
1½ cups water
Sparkling water
Ice

Place rhubarb, sugar, and 1½ cups of water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer. Cook for about 15 minutes, until the syrup is bright pink.

Turn off the heat and allow to cool. Strain syrup into a large jar.

To make each soda, measure ¼ cup rhubarb syrup into a glass. Add enough sparkling water to fill the glass ⅔ full. Stir to mix, then add ice.





I also made this so that I replaced the sugar with syrup. The color changed quite much..I did use dark syrup so...hmmm well I think I prefer the sugar version-> PINK! The soda can taste a bit sweet (not too sweet in my opinion) but you can easily adjust the sweetness level by changing the amount of sugar/syrup to match your taste. Some like it sweeter than others ;)











Happy times...
LiLoPe

No comments:

Post a Comment